After 53 years of loving and caring for Madewood…

A National Landmark in Napoleonville LA

After 53 years of loving and caring for Madewood the Marshall family, Keith and Millie, have turned it over to Hun Slonem the globally recognized artist and preservationist…and we loved working with both of them!

Madewood, the great Henry Howard plantation house just outside Napoleonville, Louisiana, was built by the Pugh Family in 1846. They lived there until 1896 and are buried on the property; Madewood was restored, and has been cared for by the Harold K. Marshall Family and descendants Keith and Millie Marshall for the last 53 years . . . since 1964.

The upper gallery of the Greek Revival masterpiece

They have created a home for themselves and for friends and guests who share their passion for music and the arts and architecture and have brought Madewood alive . . . simply by living there and welcoming guests from around the world. Now those pleasures can be enjoyed by fortunate new owners.

The Pugh Family cemetery to the rear of the carriage house is fenced and family members and others are buried there in handsomely marked tombs and gravesites.

The main house is a mansion in its grand scale, artistry, and beauty, and massive in size. It retains a feeling of authenticity, and is comfortable without telephones, televisions or modern intrusions in the bedrooms. Like most Howard buildings, it is so well built that it is still plumb and level. It is a step set back in time.

The 1822 Charlet house has three bedroom suites

Several outbuildings have been brought in to join the original brick carriage house, in the acreage around the house, creating a small usable plantation complex. Rosedale, a small 1916 Queen-Anne-style home; Charlet House, an 1822 cottage, an early building; a blacksmith’s house, and a newer cottage are surrounded by lofty live oaks, brick patios and garden beds.

The main house floor plan features a center hall, double parlors to the right, and an elegant cross hall to the left, with a music room and a downstairs bedroom suite; the single story north wing holds a library, huge ball room, the original kitchen and service rooms. Upstairs in the main portion are four guest bedroom suites.

There are four upstairs bedroom suites

The south wing houses a smaller current today’s kitchen, an owner’s suite with sitting room, bedroom, two large walk-in closets and a bathroom with steam shower and sauna, and a screened-in gallery.

The rear of the house has two cozy open galleries, upper and lower, which face east. The corresponding larger front galleries are accessible from those rooms opening onto them.
Madewood is offered furnished except for certain personal items exclusions, a list of which will be made available.
_____________________________________
The property has several unusual features not usually found and among them are:
• Four fire hydrants
• A large rank of solar panels shielded from view from the mansion. On a sunny day they can provide almost all of the electrical needs of the home. Overall, they provide 15% of the mansion’s needs
• In the early 1970’s Madewood Road was built to divert traffic traveling to the fields further away from the house. The original road, near the house, was then deeded to the Marshall’s and they deeded the new road to the parish. This covered in a document known as the “Madewood Road Substitution” as accepted by Assumption Parish.

Library - A family gathering place

Ballroom

Dining Room

This entry was posted in Louisiana Real Estate and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.